Dental Bone GraftingBone grafting may be necessary for
- Periodontal defects
- Maintain strength and support for a tooth
- Prepare a site for an implant
Why a bone graft may be recommended
- Periodontal defects or areas of bone loss – The procedure first involves an incision in the gum tissue to access the defect. Then the area is cleaned of harmful bacteria and donor bone is condensed in the area. The gum tissue is then stitched up to close the area of repair.
- Support for a tooth - If a tooth is extracted a bone graft may be necessary to maintain healthy bone and avoid the loss of bone around adjacent teeth in the area or to prepare the site if an implant is planned for the future. When a tooth is removed and not replaced, the bone in the area can be lost as the tooth is not there to maintain the bone level. This can negatively affect the support of surrounding teeth and a bone graft may help to stabilize nearby teeth.
- Preparing a site for an implant - When an implant is planned for an area that a tooth must be extracted a graft may be recommended to help strong bone form in the area for when the implant is placed. This allows good predictability that the bone in the area will be strong enough to maintain and allow proper osseointegration and stability of the implant during the healing process. The procedure involves filling the tooth socket with donor bone which looks like grains of sand. A protective covering is placed over the site to hold the bone in place and a few stitches close the area to allow for healing.
If you have questions or would like to schedule a consultation, please call (309) 663-4711.
Eastland Dental Center
Dr. Mike completed his doctor of dental medicine degree from Southern Illinois University in 1978. Dr. Marisa completed her doctor of dental medicine degree from Midwestern University in 2015. Both doctors have logged hundreds of hours of continuing education to stay on top of the latest technologies in dentistry as well as the most current research on the oral-systemic, mouth-body connection to benefit their patients. Dr. Mike and Dr. Marisa are active members and in excellent standing with the American Dental Association, Illinois State Dental Association, Chicago Dental Society, McLean County Dental Association, American Academy of Oral Systemic Health, and numerous other societies.
Both doctors are avid golfers and have won several national golf tournaments over the years. They are the only father-daughter team in the state to have won the Illinois State Amateur Golf Championship. Dr. Mike in 1974 and Dr. Marisa in 2005.
Services we offer
- Teeth Cleaning
- Digital X-Rays
- Oral Cancer Screening - Velscope
- Tooth-Colored Fillings
- Teeth Whitening
- Crowns and Bridges
- Dental Implants
- Dentures and Partials
- Root Canal
- Bone Grafting
- Gum Disease
- Oral DNA – Salivary Diagnostics
- Dental Infection
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Myofunctional Therapy
- Physician Collaboration
Getting Aquainted OfferNew Patients Call today to receive a $50 credit towards your first teeth cleaning appointment at our office
Eastland Dental Center I have been truly blessed to find such a great dental practice. I'm 61 years old and was stressed out when I had to find a new dentist. I chose Eastland Dental Center and have been blessed with Dr. Marisa Mulligan. Two crowns had fallen off and I needed to find someone to help. I was able to get in right away for an initial examination. A few days later I had my temporary crowns in and the entire process was pain free. Eastland Dental exceeded all of my expectations. Thank you doesn't seem enough to express how happy I am with them.