Dental Infection Prevention
A dental infection can develop anywhere in your mouth. Initially, it may not cause a great deal of discomfort, but bacteria from the infection can travel to bone, or spread to the bone or even to the rest of your body. Good oral hygiene, including regular checkups at Eastland Dental Center
in Bloomington, IL, are essential in prevention of dental infection.
Signs of dental infection
If you have any of these symptoms, it is imperative to seek treatment as quickly as possible to minimize risk of complications:
- Mouth pain
- Swelling on the gum
- Swollen glands in the neck
- Swollen jaw
- Temperature sensitivity in one or more teeth
- Foul breath
- Strange taste in your mouth
As soon as a tooth starts to show any or multiple of these symptoms, please contact us
right away. Delaying this can make the infection or condition worsen quickly. If the dentist determines you have an infection, antibiotics may be prescribed. In some cases, the abscess may be drained to reduce pain and swelling and speed healing. An infected tooth usually requires endodontic treatment (root canal therapy
) or extraction.
Oral care and hygiene for prevention
Many oral problems can be prevented with diligent care.
- Brush at least twice a day.
- Do not use a hard brush, or brush aggressively. Our hygienist will be happy to show you proper technique.
- Floss daily.
- Teeth are for chewing food. Do not use them to open packaging, bite through string, or gnaw hard objects. Those habits lead to damage that may result in infection.
- Visit Eastland Dental Center for regular cleanings and examinations. In addition to checking your teeth, our dentists evaluate the health of soft tissues, and screen for oral cancers.
Our team at Eastland Dental Center in Bloomington, IL is here to help with prevention and treatment of dental infection. Call (309) 663-4711