Dentist Physician CollaborationHealthcare professionals share a common goal – the wellbeing of their patients. We are teaming up to help one another provide the highest level of care. Patients at Eastland Dental Center in Bloomington, IL are assured of dentist-physician collaboration for accurate diagnosis and treatment planning.
Diabetes and gum diseaseBlood sugar levels and periodontal health are intimately related. Gum disease is linked to increased risk of diabetes. In turn, those with elevated blood sugar are more susceptible to developing gum disease. It is essential that your primary care physician and dentist join forces to keep you as healthy as possible.
Here are a few examples of the importance of “connecting the dots:”
- Individuals with diabetes need to eat well balanced meals including fresh produce. A treating physician needs to know if you are having dental problems that interfere with chewing.
- A dentist who is aware that his or her patient is being treated for diabetes can recommend more frequent cleanings for gum health.
- Other oral problems associated with diabetes include dry mouth, tooth decay, fungal/yeast infections, stomatitis, and more. By remaining vigilant for these problems, your dentist can provide helpful insight for the physician regarding possible changes in your diabetic condition.
Dental sleep medicineTreatment of sleep apnea is another area where dentist-physician collaboration is imperative. Typically, if you snore or exhibit other symptoms of sleep apnea, your physician orders polysomnography, a sleep study. The results of this study diagnose sleep disordered breathing and its severity. In mild to moderate sleep apnea cases, oral appliance therapy (OAT) may be prescribed for treatment. An oral appliance may also be recommended as an adjunct to CPAP in severe cases.
For integrated care that respects your whole health, call Eastland Dental Center at (309) 663-4711.
Services we offer
- Teeth Cleaning
- Digital X-Rays
- Oral Cancer Screening - Velscope
- Tooth-Colored Fillings
- Teeth Whitening
- Orthodontics – 6 Month Smiles
- Crowns and Bridges
- Dental Implants
- Dentures and Partials
- Root Canal
- Bone Grafting
- Gum Disease
- Oral DNA – Salivary Diagnostics
- Dental Infection
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Myofunctional Therapy
- Physician Collaboration