At Eastland Dental Center, Bloomington, IL area patients can enjoy a wide selection of dental services to improve oral health. This includes preventative services including teeth cleanings, oral cancer screenings, and examinations.
Why is preventative dental care important?
Many patients think of visiting their dentist only when they have an issue such as an injury to the mouth or a cavity or toothache. However, it is essential that patients think about the advantages of preventative care. Preventative dentistry is a proactive approach to oral health. It focuses on ensuring patients take good care of their smiles and get regular evaluations to monitor their oral health and catch any problems early enough to intervene. Conditions such as cavities and periodontal disease can cause irreversible damage to the teeth and gums, so it is important to take care of the smile to keep these problems from occurring.
What are common preventative services?
Preventative services are treatments that keep the smile healthy.
Preventative services available in our dental office:
- Teeth cleanings – one of the simplest treatments is a teeth cleaning. Patients will have their teeth cleaned when they visit our office for their routine appointment every six months or at the interval determined best for you. While patients can brush and floss their teeth after every meal at home, sometimes, it helps to have a professional clean the teeth thoroughly to ensure overall oral health and wellness. Cleanings are done right in our office. We also floss and provide education to patients who may need it.
- Sealants/fluoride application – maintaining a healthy smile free from periodontal disease and cavities can be helped with sealant and fluoride treatments. These are used to offer an extra layer of protection against common dental problems. These are typically used for children but can also be used for adults who have a higher risk of developing issues such as cavities and gum disease.
- Tooth-colored fillings – when problems such as cavities occur, getting treatment as soon as possible is highly recommended to avoid further damage to the tooth enamel. In fact, unaddressed cavities may contribute to an infection that may require extensive treatment in the future, such as root canal therapy. Our practice uses tooth-colored fillings, which are achieved with the use of a material called resin composite.
- Examinations – routine exams are recommended every six months at the same visit as your cleaning. During this time, the dentist will check the health of the smile with a clinical evaluation. Some patients may need a series of x-rays completed to check areas that are not clinically visible, such as the bone of the jaw or the health of the inner portions of the teeth. Examinations such as these can help in catching signs of early periodontal disease or the presence of cavities in the teeth. Bone loss can be diagnosed as well with this diagnostic tool.
- Oral cancer screenings – cancer is a concern anywhere on the body, even in the mouth. Oral cancer has a high survival rate when caught early. At the practice of Drs. Mike and Marisa Milligan, patients have access to oral cancer screenings with a device called VELscope. VELscope cancer screenings take just a few minutes to complete but can save your life. If there are any areas of concern where cancerous cells may be found, our team at Eastland Dental Center may refer patients to a specialist who can take a biopsy of the area to check for serious concerns such as oral cancer.
Are you interested in learning about teeth cleanings to improve the health of your smile?
Contact Drs. Mike and Marisa Milligan of Eastland Dental Center to find out how we can help you achieve optimal oral health and maintain it over the years with preventative services. We can be reached by calling (309) 663-4711 and by visiting the office in Suite 101 at 1404 Eastland Drive in Bloomington, IL. We welcome new patients ready to address oral health concerns with general, cosmetic, and restorative dentistry solutions.
Eastland Dental Center
Eastland Dental Center is owned and operated by the father-daughter duo, Dr. Mike Milligan and Dr. Marisa Milligan.
Dr. Mike completed his doctor of dental medicine degree from Southern Illinois University in 1978. Dr. Marisa completed her doctor of dental medicine degree from Midwestern University in 2015. Both doctors have logged hundreds of hours of continuing education to stay on top of the latest technologies in dentistry as well as the most current research on the oral-systemic, mouth-body connection to benefit their patients. Dr. Mike and Dr. Marisa are active members and in excellent standing with the American Dental Association, Illinois State Dental Association, Chicago Dental Society, McLean County Dental Association, American Academy of Oral Systemic Health, and numerous other societies.
Both doctors are avid golfers and have won several national golf tournaments over the years. They are the only father-daughter team in the state to have won the Illinois State Amateur Golf Championship. Dr. Mike in 1974 and Dr. Marisa in 2005.