- Whenever possible, we treat and save your natural tooth
- Exactions may be unavoidable in cases of severe damage or disease
- Wisdom teeth may be removed to protect your oral health
Most common reasons for extractionsTeeth may be extracted for various reasons, most commonly:
- Advanced gum disease – If the bone and periodontal ligament are badly damaged, there is not enough support for the tooth. At this stage, if not extracted it will eventually fall out.
- Decay – If a cavity has affected a tooth to the point there is more decay than tooth, the tooth may need to be removed.
- Fracture – When a fracture has occurred in a tooth, the tooth may be deemed unrestorable and need to be removed.
- Baby Teeth – Baby teeth that don’t come out when they should may need our help.
- Impaction – If a tooth develops partially or completely below the gum line, it can damage nearby teeth, nerves, and even bone tissue. This usually happens with wisdom teeth, but it can occur with any tooth, especially in cases of severe crowding.
What to expectWe begin with a consultation and examination, to determine if extraction is necessary. The first step is numbing the tooth and tissue to ensure your comfort. The gum tissue around the tooth is released and instruments are used to begin to loosen it. The tooth is secured with forceps, and gently moved back and forth to gradually remove it. This careful method minimizes trauma to surrounding tissue. A surgical extraction is very similar, except it requires one or more incisions to access the tooth.
If a tooth is not savable, your dentist will discuss options for replacement. We offer implants, as well as traditional dentures and bridges. If you have any questions, or you would like to schedule an appointment, please call Eastland Dental Center at (309) 663-4711.
Eastland Dental Center
Dr. Mike completed his doctor of dental medicine degree from Southern Illinois University in 1978. Dr. Marisa completed her doctor of dental medicine degree from Midwestern University in 2015. Both doctors have logged hundreds of hours of continuing education to stay on top of the latest technologies in dentistry as well as the most current research on the oral-systemic, mouth-body connection to benefit their patients. Dr. Mike and Dr. Marisa are active members and in excellent standing with the American Dental Association, Illinois State Dental Association, Chicago Dental Society, McLean County Dental Association, American Academy of Oral Systemic Health, and numerous other societies.
Both doctors are avid golfers and have won several national golf tournaments over the years. They are the only father-daughter team in the state to have won the Illinois State Amateur Golf Championship. Dr. Mike in 1974 and Dr. Marisa in 2005.
Services we offer
- Teeth Cleaning
- Digital X-Rays
- Oral Cancer Screening - Velscope
- Tooth-Colored Fillings
- Teeth Whitening
- Crowns and Bridges
- Dental Implants
- Dentures and Partials
- Root Canal
- Bone Grafting
- Gum Disease
- Oral DNA – Salivary Diagnostics
- Dental Infection
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Myofunctional Therapy
- Physician Collaboration
Getting Aquainted OfferNew Patients Call today to receive a $50 credit towards your first teeth cleaning appointment at our office
Eastland Dental Center Mike and his talented and friendly staff are amazing!! I’m so happy with the results. Each person in the office from the front desk, to the dental assistants to Dr Mike and his Daughter Marisa are top notch!!!thank you guys for a great experience.