Dental Fluoride TreatmentsFluoride is a natural mineral, essential to good oral health. Before a baby’s teeth erupt, fluoride in foods, beverages, and supplements builds strong tooth enamel. Then, topical fluoride keeps enamel sturdy and works to reverse early tooth decay. You can get it from fluoride toothpaste, public water, and saliva. Sometimes, though, it isn’t enough. Our team at Eastland Dental Center in Bloomington, IL is here to help with fluoride treatments.
Make fluoride part of your child’s dental hygiene routineFluoride treatments can make tooth enamel resistant to mouth acids. Many parents find it beneficial to schedule fluoride treatments as part of their child’s bi-annual cleaning and checkup.
The procedure is fast and painless. Teeth are cleaned and dried. Usually one quadrant at a time is treated with a thin fluoride varnish. It has a pleasant taste and dries quickly. Minerals in the varnish continue to be absorbed by tooth enamel until it is worn away by eating and brushing.
Safe and effectiveTopical fluoride treatments do not contribute to fluorosis. This mottled discoloration of tooth enamel is caused by excessive fluoride consumption, usually from self-prescribed supplements.
Fluoride for adultsMany adults can also benefit from dental fluoride treatments. Increased risk factors for tooth decay include:
- Chronic dry mouth, caused by medical conditions or as a side effect of medications.
- Gum disease. It causes gum recession, exposing unprotected root structure that is susceptible to cavity-causing bacteria.
- Dental work. Crowns, bridges, and orthodontics create food traps.
- History of cavities. Adults who need a filling every year or two may benefit from extra fluoride.
Services we offer
- Teeth Cleaning
- Digital X-Rays
- Oral Cancer Screening - Velscope
- Tooth-Colored Fillings
- Teeth Whitening
- Orthodontics – 6 Month Smiles
- Crowns and Bridges
- Dental Implants
- Dentures and Partials
- Root Canal
- Bone Grafting
- Gum Disease
- Oral DNA – Salivary Diagnostics
- Dental Infection
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Myofunctional Therapy
- Physician Collaboration