Root Canal Treatment
- Root canal therapy can save a diseased or injured tooth
- Despite common myths, the procedure is gentle and comfortable
- The process is typically completed with a dental crown to restore your smile & strengthen the tooth
Why root canal therapy is neededEach tooth is a living part of your body, complete with nerves, tiny blood vessels, and other fragile soft tissue. In a heathy tooth, these soft tissues are protected by a thick layer of dentin and an ultra-hard outer layer of enamel. When a tooth is compromised by decay, disease, or trauma this natural protection fails.
- Bacteria can enter the tooth through deep cavities or fractures
- Infection and inflammation may create painful pressure inside of the tooth
- The injured nerve will not recover; tooth extraction or root canal therapy are the only ways to stop the pain
- Without treatment, the infection can spread causing abscesses and other oral health problems
- Infection can spread throughout the entire body – in fact, medical research shows that up to 50 percent or more of heart attacks are triggered by an abscessed tooth infection!
What is root canal therapy?The medical name for this procedure is endodontic therapy. The process begins with numbing the tooth, ensuring your comfort. Next, the dentist creates a small opening in the tooth, and cleans diseased tissues from the tiny inner chambers and canals using specialized tools. The tooth is then disinfected, filled, and topped with a filling or crown. This treatment may take one to three appointments.
Call Eastland Dental Center at (309) 663-4711 to schedule an examination.
Eastland Dental Center
Dr. Mike completed his doctor of dental medicine degree from Southern Illinois University in 1978. Dr. Marisa completed her doctor of dental medicine degree from Midwestern University in 2015. Both doctors have logged hundreds of hours of continuing education to stay on top of the latest technologies in dentistry as well as the most current research on the oral-systemic, mouth-body connection to benefit their patients. Dr. Mike and Dr. Marisa are active members and in excellent standing with the American Dental Association, Illinois State Dental Association, Chicago Dental Society, McLean County Dental Association, American Academy of Oral Systemic Health, and numerous other societies.
Both doctors are avid golfers and have won several national golf tournaments over the years. They are the only father-daughter team in the state to have won the Illinois State Amateur Golf Championship. Dr. Mike in 1974 and Dr. Marisa in 2005.
Services we offer
- Teeth Cleaning
- Digital X-Rays
- Oral Cancer Screening - Velscope
- Tooth-Colored Fillings
- Teeth Whitening
- Crowns and Bridges
- Dental Implants
- Dentures and Partials
- Root Canal
- Bone Grafting
- Gum Disease
- Oral DNA – Salivary Diagnostics
- Dental Infection
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Myofunctional Therapy
- Physician Collaboration
Getting Aquainted OfferNew Patients Call today to receive a $50 credit towards your first teeth cleaning appointment at our office
Eastland Dental Center I have been seeing this dentist for a couple of years now and can honestly say it is a HUGE upgrade from my previous dentist. I originally switched because I thought my old dentist was filling unnecessary cavities and I was right. Dr. Milligan said they did not need to be filled and that they are fine. Would recommend them to anyone!