Oral DNA Salivary DiagnosticsYou probably take saliva for granted, but it plays many important roles. Saliva aids in breathing, swallowing, and digestion, and it provides a layer of protection between teeth and harmful bacteria. This watery secretion is also an important factor in determining risk of periodontal disease. With Oral DNA salivary diagnostics, Bloomington, IL dentists, Dr. Mike and Dr. Marisa Milligan, help patients maintain better oral health and overall wellness.
What is saliva testing?It is a quick, painless test that gathers samples of your unique DNA from mouth surfaces. Typically, a saline rinse is used to collect specimens from gingival spaces. Samples are sealed and sent to a lab for evaluation. You and the dentist review an easy to understand analysis that details specific bacteria in your mouth responsible for early stage gum disease (gingivitis) and advanced periodontal disease. DNA testing also provides genetic information that helps determine your inherited predisposition to gum disease. Chairside testing can detect other oral diseases and systemic disorders, as well.
Benefits of Oral DNA salivary diagnostics
- Takes only about a minute to perform.
- No needles.
- Detects oral pathogens directly related to gum disease, and thus linked to increased risk of diabetes, cardiovascular disease, stroke, and birth complications.
- Reveals gene markers associated with oral and systemic inflammation.
- Determines if you are at elevated risk of HPV-related oral cancers.
- Helps your dentist design the most effective gum disease treatment plan, customized to your physiology.
Gum disease affects so much more than your smile. Please contact us at Eastland Dental Center in Bloomington, IL at (309) 663-4711 to schedule Oral DNA salivary diagnostics.
Services we offer
- Teeth Cleaning
- Digital X-Rays
- Oral Cancer Screening - Velscope
- Tooth-Colored Fillings
- Teeth Whitening
- Orthodontics – 6 Month Smiles
- Crowns and Bridges
- Dental Implants
- Dentures and Partials
- Root Canal
- Bone Grafting
- Gum Disease
- Oral DNA – Salivary Diagnostics
- Dental Infection
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Myofunctional Therapy
- Physician Collaboration